October 15

Math Strategies

How do you subtract 2 and 3-digit numbers? For this week’s blog challenge we thought we’d share our math thinking on how we subtract numbers. Just check out all the ways we use our math skills. We are using strategies like: make an easier problem or as we call it “monkey see, monkey do”; the traditional algorithm or as we call it “the mom and dad way”; and adding to subtract or as we call it “Megan’s way” because she invented it.

So how do you subtract numbers?

Try our slideshow maker at Animoto.

Tags: ,

Posted October 15, 2012 by Mrs. McKelvey in category Edublogs Challenge

About the Author

Hello my name is Karen McKelvey and I am a 3rd grade teacher at Curie Elementary School in San Diego, California. I began teaching at Curie Elementary in 2002. I feel fortunate to be part of such a great community. I love blogging with my students as it provides them with an authentic audience for their work. Collaborative group work and project-based learning are key components of my classroom. I completed my Masters degree in Educational Technology from San Diego State University in 2010. Many of the concepts/pedagogy and technologies I learned about in this program, like learning management systems, Google tools, and blogs are implemented in my classroom. Technology plays a key role in the learning that occurs in our classroom. We don’t learn about technology, we learn with technology. Students are engaged in activities that incorporate writing, research skills, critical and creative thinking skills, and much more on a daily basis.