December 3

Let’s make trash extinct!

Coastal Zone Management Act 40th Anniversary - NOAA

Attribution:

Calling all the people! Calling all the people! Trash is bad! Boats, jet skis, and ships are putting bad oils in our waters. Metal cans may take about 50 years to biodegrade, biodegrade means break down or disintegrated, so remember that soda can you left on the beach a few days ago… yup it’s still there! And did you know plastic bags take up to 450 years to biodegrade in the ocean! That’s a long time! Thousands of helpless sea creatures are dying because of this mess, and you can help them!

Mark your calendars! The Annual California Clean the Beach Day is coming up and its on Saturday, September 21! So… get up and clean! Everybody can help! The annual California Clean the beach day is runned by the california government and is trying their best to make trash extinct on their shores. The annual California clean the beach Day is also yearly event that happens every year and its coming up! Even though you don’t live in california you can still help! Just go to your local beach and clean up!

This pollution in the water isn’t helping the water. Giant oil spills happen all the time, oil goes in the water and stays there, for a long, long time, until something eats it…

Places like Pearl Harbor, Hawaii have lots of shipwrecks, some worse than others. Pearl Harbor is a lagoon harbor on the island of Oahu, Hawaii, west of Honolulu. Much of the harbor and surrounding lands is a United States Army deep-water naval base. It is also the headquarters of the United Pacific Fleet. The attack on Pearl Harbor by the Empire of Jan on Sunday, December 7, 1941 brought the United States into World War II . The great navy ship that has been blown up by Japan in Pearl Harbor is still leaking tons and tons of oil everyday! And can you believe that Navy Ship has been leaking for over about a hundred years! And you can even see the ship in person!

Clean up the ocean! Its not just the beach, its the water! Do you surf, swim, or even boggie board? When you swallow enough of the stuff in the water it can make you sick and even maybe shorten your lifespan! The gas from boats, don’t help. Have you heard of the giant floating island in the middle of the pacific ocean? Thats not the only one theres about 15 of them! So.. get up and help! Lets make trash extinct!

Tags: , , , ,

Posted December 3, 2013 by sdgator in category Edublogs Challenge, Student Posts

1 thoughts on “Let’s make trash extinct!

1. Sarah

Dear Mrs.McKelvey and class,
    My name Sarah and I am from Comox Valley. My mom and I always in the summer go to Kai Bay. I bet we definatly would not mind to clean up next month at Kai Bay, or maybe the other beach called Goose Spit. Mom and I enjoy our beaches and we want to keep it that way.
    Sincerely, Sarah.

Reply