March 30

Welcome Parents!

Dear Parents,
In March, our class has embarked on a new adventure. We are now blogging on this new blog. We are using this blog to connect with students all over the world. We are also participating in the Spring 2012, Edublog Student Blogging Challenge.

What is a blog you ask? In short, a blog is type of website that is full of journal articles. (Articles usually involve text, and/or video and photos.) The articles are typically organized in chronological order—meaning the most recent article appears first. Journal articles are referred to as “posts” on a blog. There are millions of blogs on the Internet. They are usually subject related, such as cooking, scrapbooking, baseball, education, photography…you get the idea. After you read a post you can comment on what you read, and carry on a conversation with people all over the world. And that’s just what we are doing.

As a class we are blogging and commenting about all sorts of things, and responding to each of the weekly Edublog challenges. Check out some of our posts below. So far we’ve posted links to our published work on other website such VoiceThread and Glogster. We’ve created our very own avatars and made a slideshow in VoiceThread explaining how and our avatars look the way we do, as a way to introduce ourselves. We’ve even produced a short video on what makes a great blog comment—which you should definitely check out because we want you to visit our blog and start commenting on our posts. And, the students are pretty picky about which comments appear on our blog. So be sure to follow the commenting format.

So here’s what we need you to do–read our posts, including the comments already posted, then respond to one or a few of our posts. Check out the post on “How do you use computers in your job?” and be sure to comment to on it.

Thanks for your support! Please let me know if you have any questions.

Posted March 30, 2012 by Mrs. McKelvey in category Edublogs Challenge, Uncategorized

About the Author

Hello my name is Karen McKelvey and I am a 3rd grade teacher at Curie Elementary School in San Diego, California. I began teaching at Curie Elementary in 2002. I feel fortunate to be part of such a great community. I love blogging with my students as it provides them with an authentic audience for their work. Collaborative group work and project-based learning are key components of my classroom. I completed my Masters degree in Educational Technology from San Diego State University in 2010. Many of the concepts/pedagogy and technologies I learned about in this program, like learning management systems, Google tools, and blogs are implemented in my classroom. Technology plays a key role in the learning that occurs in our classroom. We don’t learn about technology, we learn with technology. Students are engaged in activities that incorporate writing, research skills, critical and creative thinking skills, and much more on a daily basis.