April 25

Let’s work

Volunteers clean up a beach

So Weeks 6’s blogging challenge has us thinking about what types of volunteer work people do in our own community. Since we just researched water problems in our community, like pollution, we decided to find out if there are any volunteers working to solve these problems. We are currently writing posts about a couple of organizations that help keep our waterways and beaches clean.

We are also researching information about a canyon called Rose Canyon because we know there’s a group called Friends of Rose Canyon who help keep the canyon clean. We wondered what else do these volunteers do? And so, we are also writing a post about the Friends of Rose Canyon.

Many of us have actually done volunteer work also and we are writing about that too.

We hope to put up our posts by the end of the week.

Attribution: Photo by U.S. Navy photo by Mass Communication Specialist 1st Class Jay C. Pugh [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons

Posted April 25, 2012 by Mrs. McKelvey in category Edublogs Challenge

About the Author

Hello my name is Karen McKelvey and I am a 3rd grade teacher at Curie Elementary School in San Diego, California. I began teaching at Curie Elementary in 2002. I feel fortunate to be part of such a great community. I love blogging with my students as it provides them with an authentic audience for their work. Collaborative group work and project-based learning are key components of my classroom. I completed my Masters degree in Educational Technology from San Diego State University in 2010. Many of the concepts/pedagogy and technologies I learned about in this program, like learning management systems, Google tools, and blogs are implemented in my classroom. Technology plays a key role in the learning that occurs in our classroom. We don’t learn about technology, we learn with technology. Students are engaged in activities that incorporate writing, research skills, critical and creative thinking skills, and much more on a daily basis.