May 8

Journey Back in Time

Earlier this year we created first person narratives in which we pretended to be passengers on the Mayflower. In 1620, 102 brave souls traveled from Plymouth, England to a strange new land called America. Among them were the Pilgrims who were traveling to America for religious freedom.

How brave are you? Would you take such a risk and travel to the strange new land? Check out VoiceThread first and decide.

Posted May 8, 2012 by Mrs. McKelvey in category Student Posts

About the Author

Hello my name is Karen McKelvey and I am a 3rd grade teacher at Curie Elementary School in San Diego, California. I began teaching at Curie Elementary in 2002. I feel fortunate to be part of such a great community. I love blogging with my students as it provides them with an authentic audience for their work. Collaborative group work and project-based learning are key components of my classroom. I completed my Masters degree in Educational Technology from San Diego State University in 2010. Many of the concepts/pedagogy and technologies I learned about in this program, like learning management systems, Google tools, and blogs are implemented in my classroom. Technology plays a key role in the learning that occurs in our classroom. We don’t learn about technology, we learn with technology. Students are engaged in activities that incorporate writing, research skills, critical and creative thinking skills, and much more on a daily basis.