November 4

Let’s get scientific

PIA15279 3rovers-stand D2011 1215 D521
Welcome Bloggin’ Frogs  to week 7 of our Edublogs challenge. I read through Miss W.’s post for this week’s challenge and I’ve picked a few activities for you to choose from.

How scientific are you?

This week’s challenge is all about science. Most students nowadays are very scientific even if they don’t realize it. There are so many topics that come under the heading of science – physics, chemistry, botany, biology, astronomy, magnetism and the list goes on.

Activities to try

Choose one of these activities to complete with your blogging partner.

Create an A-Z about science – Since we just finished our first science unit called the Sun, the Moon, and the Stars, your A-Z project could share what you learned. (For example, A is for astronaut. Include a picture of an astronaut and describe what an astronaut does.) Your project could be a written post or maybe a collage of images you have drawn or found with creative commons licenses. And, don’t forget to include attribution for all the images you use.

Research a famous scientist from the United States. Why are they famous in their field? Write a post about this person and be sure to include some images with creative common licenses. And, don’t forget to include attribution for all the images you use.Check out this website on Albert Einstein or search this website called Science Kids for a different famous scientist.

Write a post on a science topic you are passionate about. It might be deadly snakes, mini-beasts, Mars Landing, endangered animals, ozone layer, melting of ice caps – the list is endless. Make sure your post includes:

• an image or video with correct attribution
    • at least one link directing your readers to somewhere else on the web where they can find more information (for example, the San Diego Zoo’s site for kids)
    • if possible, a link to a webcam relating to your topic
    • a question for your readers to answer in a comment

Write a post about your favorite animal. Give lots of information and include links. I’ve already posted some of your Glogster reports on animals. Write a post about your favorite animal and be sure to include some images with creative commons licenses. And, don’t forget to include attribution for all the images you use.

These places might give you some ideas or information for your posts:

Visit these websites – National Geographic Australia, National Geographic USA, Australian Geographic, Discovery Channel USA, Discovery Channel Australia, YouTube Discovery Networks, NASA home page, PBS Science resources,

Remember to also keep visiting other student blogs especially those listed on Edublogs participation page or our Blog Roll.

Now let’s leaping Bloggin’ Frogs!

*Attribution: By NASA [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons

Posted November 4, 2012 by Mrs. McKelvey in category Edublogs Challenge

About the Author

Hello my name is Karen McKelvey and I am a 3rd grade teacher at Curie Elementary School in San Diego, California. I began teaching at Curie Elementary in 2002. I feel fortunate to be part of such a great community. I love blogging with my students as it provides them with an authentic audience for their work. Collaborative group work and project-based learning are key components of my classroom. I completed my Masters degree in Educational Technology from San Diego State University in 2010. Many of the concepts/pedagogy and technologies I learned about in this program, like learning management systems, Google tools, and blogs are implemented in my classroom. Technology plays a key role in the learning that occurs in our classroom. We don’t learn about technology, we learn with technology. Students are engaged in activities that incorporate writing, research skills, critical and creative thinking skills, and much more on a daily basis.