March 5

Frog Fanatic

Why Bloggin’ Frogs you ask? It’s simple. I’m a frog fanatic. Our classroom is filled with all sorts of frogs. Big ones, small ones, green ones, pink ones, fat ones, flat ones, fluffy ones, glass ones, and even ones that wear sunglasses. They are on the walls, on the shelves, on the cupboards, on our folders and notebooks, and in every nook and cranny here, there, and everywhere. I think my frogs are cute little fellows who make our classroom very cheerful and fun. I worry though that my passion has gone a bit beyond a passion and is now more like obsession.

Finley, a stuffed frog, was the first frog. A student gave me Finley about ten years ago. Finley is soft and snuggly, and enjoys reading with students during book club time. Most of our stuffed frogs spend time reading with students. They’re like pillows. Finley even has a wife called Lilly who wears a cute pink sweater. Lilly arrived shortly after Finley, and so they are the oldest frogs in our classroom. Perhaps we should call them Mr. and Mrs. Frogesident. (Get it?)

After Finley and Lilly, the frogs just kept coming and coming and not just stuffed ones. Every holiday something froggy shows up. Last year I even got a tea cup and sauce that’s shaped like a frog. I think the students enjoy giving me the frogs as much as I like receiving them.

So that’s why we are called the Bloggin’ Frogs. We love bloggin’ and we love frogs. Which is your favorite?
Frog Fanatic on PhotoPeach

Tags:

Posted March 5, 2013 by Mrs. McKelvey in category Edublogs Challenge

About the Author

Hello my name is Karen McKelvey and I am a 3rd grade teacher at Curie Elementary School in San Diego, California. I began teaching at Curie Elementary in 2002. I feel fortunate to be part of such a great community. I love blogging with my students as it provides them with an authentic audience for their work. Collaborative group work and project-based learning are key components of my classroom. I completed my Masters degree in Educational Technology from San Diego State University in 2010. Many of the concepts/pedagogy and technologies I learned about in this program, like learning management systems, Google tools, and blogs are implemented in my classroom. Technology plays a key role in the learning that occurs in our classroom. We don’t learn about technology, we learn with technology. Students are engaged in activities that incorporate writing, research skills, critical and creative thinking skills, and much more on a daily basis.

4 thoughts on “Frog Fanatic

1. Pingback: Week 3 Updates | Mrs. McKelvey's Bloggin Frogs

2. Kirsten

Hello grade 3 class,

This is Gigi and Jeremy from the walk this way site. No kidding you ARE frog fanatics! We really like your post on being frog fanatics. It is very funny and original (not to mention you have them all over the class room!) When did you become frog fanatics? why do you like frogs? What type of froggie stuff shows up on holidays? Does the school allow you to have froggies on the ceiling?

sincerely,

http://walkthisway1.edublogs.org

Reply
  3. Oliver

Dear Mrs.Mckelvey your video is fantastic! It really hooks me in to the video. I love the pictures they are very well taken. Your a good Bloggin Frog. Your the best teacher! Your buddy Oliver!

Reply
  4. Callie

Dear Mrs.McKelvey,
    I love the details in the video and I love that there were frogs everywhere. I love frogs.
    From,
    Callie’s sister

Reply