March 10

What we’ve been up to Week 1

How can we make our blog better? That was our goal for week 1. We split into groups and focused on different tasks.

We noticed we have many visitors to our blog from different countries. We decided to add a translator widget. Connor’s group work on finding just the right translator widget. They added Google Translator to the sidebar on our blog. We hope  it will be very useful for our visitors.

Ryan’s group updated our About Us page. They wandered around school and took photos. Next, they created a slideshow in Animoto.

We noticed that making great comments is a challenge for most kids…even parents don’t always follow good commenting guidelines. We already have a video and so we wanted to add something else. Devon’s group decided to create a Glog with quick tips to help kids make great blog comments. (And we’ll post this as soon as they’ve finished the final touches.)

Finally, many of us visited different class blogs, read posts, and left comments. We’re in the process of making a list of our favorites and then we’ll add them to our blog roll this week.

It was a busy first week. We learned a lot about working together this week and what is necessary to do a good job.

Posted March 10, 2013 by Mrs. McKelvey in category Uncategorized

About the Author

Hello my name is Karen McKelvey and I am a 3rd grade teacher at Curie Elementary School in San Diego, California. I began teaching at Curie Elementary in 2002. I feel fortunate to be part of such a great community. I love blogging with my students as it provides them with an authentic audience for their work. Collaborative group work and project-based learning are key components of my classroom. I completed my Masters degree in Educational Technology from San Diego State University in 2010. Many of the concepts/pedagogy and technologies I learned about in this program, like learning management systems, Google tools, and blogs are implemented in my classroom. Technology plays a key role in the learning that occurs in our classroom. We don’t learn about technology, we learn with technology. Students are engaged in activities that incorporate writing, research skills, critical and creative thinking skills, and much more on a daily basis.