October 11

Orphan Train Riders

Orphan train flyer

By J.W. Swan [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons

From 1850 to 1930  thousands of kids were living on the street and were made fun of and considered “street urchins”. From 1854 to 1928 Charles Loring Brace began the Children’s Aid Society. Later, he decided to help the poor children he knew were innocent. His idea was to make a train that carries children to go to west states, in only a few days notice, out of big cities like New York into the western states. They only were taken to places in America to get to new homes. The children were lined up while people gawked at them and chose the one they wanted and left carelessly if they did not want any of them. If they were not chosen they went back on the train to another state. Though some got bad homes that made them work to the bone others got good homes with food, love, shelter, and beds and warmth. The last train took off in 1992 and 200,000 new programs appeared to help the homeless from the streets and the orphan trains ended.

By Emilie

orphan train

From the book Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline

Tags: ,

Posted October 11, 2013 by Mrs. McKelvey in category Student Posts

About the Author

Hello my name is Karen McKelvey and I am a 3rd grade teacher at Curie Elementary School in San Diego, California. I began teaching at Curie Elementary in 2002. I feel fortunate to be part of such a great community. I love blogging with my students as it provides them with an authentic audience for their work. Collaborative group work and project-based learning are key components of my classroom. I completed my Masters degree in Educational Technology from San Diego State University in 2010. Many of the concepts/pedagogy and technologies I learned about in this program, like learning management systems, Google tools, and blogs are implemented in my classroom. Technology plays a key role in the learning that occurs in our classroom. We don’t learn about technology, we learn with technology. Students are engaged in activities that incorporate writing, research skills, critical and creative thinking skills, and much more on a daily basis.