April 24

The Mission Era, Three Perspectives

Did you know California was once a Spanish colony? It was known then as Alta California. The coastline was dotted with 21 missions, all about a day’s walk from each other. The Spanish built these missions to secure their land claim. Local natives were rounded up and forced to live on the mission where the missionaries tried to convert them to Christianity and make them into good Spanish subjects.

Check out Ryan and Carter’s GoAnimate. In this animation you’ll see three different points of view on this period of history–a native Indian, a Spanish missionary, and a Spanish soldier.

Tags: , , ,

Posted April 24, 2014 by Mrs. McKelvey in category Student Posts

About the Author

Hello my name is Karen McKelvey and I am a 3rd grade teacher at Curie Elementary School in San Diego, California. I began teaching at Curie Elementary in 2002. I feel fortunate to be part of such a great community. I love blogging with my students as it provides them with an authentic audience for their work. Collaborative group work and project-based learning are key components of my classroom. I completed my Masters degree in Educational Technology from San Diego State University in 2010. Many of the concepts/pedagogy and technologies I learned about in this program, like learning management systems, Google tools, and blogs are implemented in my classroom. Technology plays a key role in the learning that occurs in our classroom. We don’t learn about technology, we learn with technology. Students are engaged in activities that incorporate writing, research skills, critical and creative thinking skills, and much more on a daily basis.

1 thoughts on “The Mission Era, Three Perspectives

1. ian

Milo is trying to be perfect. And he is reading the book how to be perfect in three days. And he reads threw it and at the end he thinks being perfect is boring and so does DR. silver fish. Also why perfect is boring is because you don,t do anything accept drink weak tea. I agree with Milo because you will starve to death and you will die from never sleeping because you have to sleep to survive

from,
    Ian

Reply