October 28

Socktober! Change the world

Kid President wants to sock it! Sock what, you say. Homelessness. According to Kid President on  SoulPancake, every night in the United States an estimated 600,000 people live on the streets. So this October, even though we are getting a late start, we want to help SoulPancake and Kid President by participating in the Socktober sock drive. He wants 2 million people to participate to prove that even the smallest acts of love, like donating a pair of socks, can make a big difference in the lives of our neighbors who are homeless.

Did you know that San Diego rates third in the nation for homeless people. There are approximately 10,000 homeless people right now in San Diego.

We’re going to collect socks for a couple of weeks and then donate them to a shelter. We’ll post our progress right here on our blog.

We really liked the 3 questions that can change the world that Kid President asks in this video too. We’ thought we’d post them here on our blog to see what other kids around the world think:

1. What are you not okay with?

2. What do I have?

3. What can we do about it?

Tags: , , ,

Posted October 28, 2014 by Mrs. McKelvey in category Edublogs Challenge

About the Author

Hello my name is Karen McKelvey and I am a 3rd grade teacher at Curie Elementary School in San Diego, California. I began teaching at Curie Elementary in 2002. I feel fortunate to be part of such a great community. I love blogging with my students as it provides them with an authentic audience for their work. Collaborative group work and project-based learning are key components of my classroom. I completed my Masters degree in Educational Technology from San Diego State University in 2010. Many of the concepts/pedagogy and technologies I learned about in this program, like learning management systems, Google tools, and blogs are implemented in my classroom. Technology plays a key role in the learning that occurs in our classroom. We don’t learn about technology, we learn with technology. Students are engaged in activities that incorporate writing, research skills, critical and creative thinking skills, and much more on a daily basis.

2 thoughts on “Socktober! Change the world

1. Mrs. McKelvey (Post author)

Hello Bloggin’ Frogs,
    I’m not okay with littering! It really, really annoys me when I see people throwing trash out of their car windows. It especially, annoys me when people throw their cigarette butts out of their car windows. We are in a serious drought and one of those butts could spark the next wild fire! It’s so careless and irresponsible. Is it really that hard to find a trash can for your litter. I don’t think so.
    What I can do about it? For starters I can help our school campus stay clean by putting more trash cans around campus. We have a littering problem and I think having trash cans in convenient spots might help.
    From,
    Mrs. Mckelvey

Reply