November 20

The First Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving is a holiday celebrated in the United States of America. It is celebrated in the fourth Thursday of November every year. It is a holiday when we give thanks to what we have. I will now tell you about the first Thanksgiving.

The first Thanksgiving wasn’t on the fourth Thursday of November, it was in late October, 1621. The first Thanksgiving was a feast to declare peace between the Pilgrims and the Native Americans. The Pilgrims were a group of English settlers. They fled England because they persecuted for their religious beliefs. They sailed on a boat called the Mayflower. The Mayflower stopped at place in what is now New England, and the Pilgrims named it New Plymouth . When they first arrived at Plymouth they noticed that there were other people there. Today we call those people the indians or Native Americans.

The Indians and Pilgrims  became friends. The Indians taught the Pilgrims how to pick corn, and fish with their bare hands. They then decided to have a feast to give thanks to each other because they had learned a lot of things from each other. The feast was also meant to declare peace between the Pilgrims and the Indians.

Today we celebrate Thanksgiving to give thanks to what we have. And that is what I know of the first Thanksgiving. Check out this short video about the first Thanksgiving.

Tags:

Posted November 20, 2014 by Sophie in category Student Posts

About the Author

Hi I am in fourth grade and I love dolphins.